Child Mental Health Wraparound Supports
Supporting Child Mental Health with Wraparound Support Services
Child Mental Health Supports Defined
Child Mental Health supports are provided to youth who have a diagnosis of a serious emotional disturbance. A person-centered treatment plan is built upon the child and family’s strengths to identify the following:
- The unique needs of the child
- Services and strategies that assist the child and family in achieving more positive outcomes in their lives
- To allow families access to needed services so that children do not enter the child welfare or probation system for the sole purpose of accessing services
- To make sure families do not get bounced from agency to agency trying to access services
- To ensure that children are receiving services in the appropriate system
- To build community collaborations by examining current practices and cross-educating community stakeholders on available resources
- To construct a multi-agency approach for all children within communities in order for the best outcomes and service conditions
Advocacy Links can provide Wraparound Support for youth and families eligible for Child Mental Health Wraparound (CMHW) services and the Child Mental Health Initiative (CMHI).
To be eligible through Child Mental Health Wraparound (CMHW) a youth must:
- Be eligible for Medicaid and Home and Community Based Services
- Be 6 through 17 years of age
- Have two or more Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Text Revision diagnoses
- Youth who are experiencing significant emotional and/or functional impairments that impact their level of functioning at home or in the community (e.g., Seriously Emotionally Disturbed classification)
- Demonstrate a level of need by meeting the following criteria:
- Receive a score of 4 or higher on the Division of Mental Health and Addiction-approved assessment tool
- Have one or more of the following behavioral or emotional needs:
- Adjustment to trauma
- Debilitating anxiety
- Conduct problems
- Sexual aggression
To be eligible through Child Mental Health Initiative (CMHI) a youth must:
- Meet all of the criteria above for CMHW EXCEPT
- Meeting Medicaid and HCBS eligibility. Medicaid and HCBS are not required for CMHI
- CMHI is best suited for youth who are not Medicaid eligible or who have insurance plans that don’t cover mental health or Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities.
What You Can Expect From Us
- Meet at least monthly as a team to ensure progress on established support goals.
- At least weekly contact with Wraparound
- facilitator for support and encouragement.
- Connect to natural and community resources to create and maintain ongoing support options.
- Compassionate, knowledgeable, local facilitators who are familiar with resources in your area.